View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2017, 12:19 am   #43
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: KB VC1 width problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niechcial,Steve View Post
I've decided it's too risky to try and take the core apart without dissolving all the wax etc on the main windings. The ferrite core is very brittle and may fracture if I pull on too hard against the waxed- in formers. I could cut off the overwind and try the transformer again. But if I do that that might make it difficult for Mike Barker to do a rewind.
It is sensible to be cautious. And sometimes that old ferrite is very brittle. Can you post photos of the transformer, I might be able to make a suggestion about a way to tackle it if I could see it.

Another idea in the meantime:

Do you have, or can you get any other similar lopty that is known to be ok (with or without an overwind) so that you could subs it into your set, so as to measure the stability of the B+ boost voltage ? Just as an additional check that the problem resides in the transformer you are working on. (I agree that very very likely it does) its just another level of certainty, then if you had to make a risky move with your existing transformer you would feel better about it.