View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2016, 5:08 pm   #303
GeoffK
Heptode

Default Re: My first valve radio project - Philips 462A

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo.girl View Post
Interesting what you say about trying to get a MW/LW set up and running next. I am tempted and feel a little guilty about not doing it for this one after being told off by Heterodyne. I think my issue was I don't really know what to do with a MW/LW set once I'm finished... what do people do with their MW/LM sets these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo.girl View Post
I'll replace C24 traders too then. I have a 10nF cap (630V). Is it OK to use this or is x10 a bit too high? It seems to be in general people can be quite flexible with cap and resistor values when replacing - is there a rule of thumb for what range you can use as a replacement?
I hope I wasn't telling anyone off, I just thought it a shame that a radio as good as a Philips was not going to be used in the way it was intended anymore. There is still plenty of stations on the medium wave to listen to. As for the tone correction C24 capacitor this should be close to the original value, the capacitive reaction is inversely proportional to frequency, meaning that as the capacitor gets larger the frequency it 'lets through' (though it is the influence of one side of the capacitor on the other side) gets lower, the impendence of the circuit also determines what size a capacitor in relation to the frequency it 'lets through' is. So if a larger capacitor is fitted to C24 it will give more treble cut. Earlier designs had the tone control variable resistor fitted here meaning the control had the full high tension voltage on it.