View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2021, 8:13 pm   #16
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Raspberry Pi as a storage device for a PET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
Quote:
may be putting > 3.3V into the RPi. And the PNP transistor doesn't really seem to be needed, as the 10k resistor in-series with +5V to it will be the limiting factor.
I think we may both have been labouring under the same misapprehension Owen - the job of the R4 / T1 / T2 part of the circuit is to accept 0v/3V3 from the Pi (on the left) and supply 0V / 5V to the PET (On the right). So it's perfectly right that it takes its pullup from +5V through R4.

I think the circuit as drawn is probably fine, now that I am not looking at it cross-eyed.
Yes, I understood it is just a 0/+3.3V to 0/+5.5V (inverting) level-converter.
- But using T1 PNP transistor, to form a complementary push-pull output stage, means you shouldn't need an RTL style Pull-up.
So it should have either R4 OR T1. Having both seems rather pointless, as the output source-current is still limited by R4!

Quote:
the (World's best selling Home Computer - around 30 million sold) C64 etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
That record has apparently now been well and truly smashed by the Raspberry Pi.
Yes, although it depends on if you classify the RPi module as a complete Home Computer (Although not much extra required - just Keyboard, mouse, monitor, PSU + Some firmware on an SD-card) , and you could buy a Starter kit with most of this).
But not sure if the Records-books have been updated, to the RPi yet.

Last edited by ortek_service; 3rd May 2021 at 8:30 pm.