View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2021, 9:20 pm   #1532
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
There are two types of 'repair paint' available and to be honest I would never use the metallic type (originally meant for track repairs) to revive the conductive 'pills' on keyboards. It's too hard, and when repeatedly crushed will just fall apart into metallic powder which will end up all over the place.

There is another type of conductive paint which is black, and dries with a rubbery and flexible finish and is usually marketed as 'remote control repair' solution - it is very similar to the rubber solution used for fixing bicycle inner tubes but obviously has a lot of carbon mixed into it. Because it is flexible, unlike the metal stuff, it is more squash-tolerant.

The rubber bits on the ends of the plungers are probably removable, they look very similar to the key contacts in my Atari ST and I have seen them used in PC keyboards of a certain vintage as well - so it might be possible to harvest a set of good 'dimples' from an old PC PS/2 keyboard of a certain age.

Well in that video you'd linked to, he does use an expensive Chemtronics keyboard repair kit, but it was silver (in colour certainly) paint (although it seems you have to add a liquid solvent to it and mix it up first). But, yes, it does ideally need to be quite flexible.

I had also heard of remote repair kits containing small discs of self-adhesive metal foil.

But, it does seem he'd got it wrong that the keys should be very low resistance when pressed, and just cleaning them had brought the resistance back down to low-enough to make them work.

Last edited by ortek_service; 10th Apr 2021 at 9:38 pm.