View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2009, 8:50 pm   #1
simatnort
Retired Dormant Member

Default Field Telephone Type F Mk II - Help needed

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum and I would be grateful if anybody could help me out.

I am a scout leader in Sheffield and on clearing out our stores I came across a pair of old field telephones in excellent condition in the original wooden boxes that are marked Type F, Mk II. I presume these date from WWII and would love to get them working again so the kids could use them on camps and have some fun with them.

I would also like to give them some history and information about the phones such as what they were used for and when they would have been used, could anyone help me out with this?

I wired the sets together and connected them with some 9V batteries which was all I had to hand, but I gather they should use 3V, would a 4.5V flat battery do the job?

I managed to use the handsets so they are working fine and the quality seems to be pretty good. However, when turning the generator handle the bells on either handset do not ring, which I presume they should? Nor could I get the buzzer to operate but after reading other posts on this forum I gather there should be two black knobs inside, which are not present on either handset, there is just a smooth black buzzer piece that slides in and out of the slot on the right. Any ideas how I could get the bell and buzzer working?

I don't have the handsets with me at the moment but I will try and get some pictures up if needed.

Thanks
Simon