View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 1:12 pm   #71
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: 2019 Solihull TV Junk-Swap and Get-Together

A big thanks to you Mikey, it was a superb day!!

I inadvertently left two small RF oscillator chassis there though that I brought for the junk pile that did not get claimed, I feel embarrassed about this and so I must apologise to you.

I so enjoy this meetup, it was fantastic, I got to meet up with and chat with lots of forum members and also stayed up late watching excellent (amusing) period programming over a couple of beers with Tone!

What was truly mind blowing though was watching that old dual standard GEC (2019?) come back to life on the operating table. I have never seen a set where the tube registers next to zero emission (after being bopped) display a watchable picture like that! - Superb!! Here's to the next!!

Thinking along the lines of "fixing sets" I was talking with another forum member on Sunday at the NVCF and we got around to discussing the excellent meetup event that Mikey hosts and an idea was hatched that I tend to agree with and that is that it seems a little unfair that all of these sets that get brought back to life at these events use Mikey's valuable stock of resistors, capacitors, valves etc.

Maybe when a set has been "got going" the lucky member who gets to take it home could pay for any components that have been used in the operation?

It wouldn't be a large amount of money and that way it also wouldn't leave Mikey out of pocket.

What do others think??

Cheers

Here's to the next