View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2018, 10:15 am   #9
Bookman
Hexode

Default Re: How were annunciator panels signwritten?

Your last sentence has an interesting observation particularly in the importance that annunciation has in respect of reference data and quality of data.
Back in the mid 1970s I attended a Quality Assurance conference and I remember the first thing the lecturer said; he said "you should always put down on paper what it is that you do". So what you may say?
Well, there is a specific range of protection relays missing from the sentence. Here I am referring to the "K" range of relays.
The Faraday disc IDMT (CDG) relays were replaced by relays employing static electronics (transistorised) of the Midos range of which the MCGG range of IDMT relays replaced the CDG (Current Disc General) types.
This was in the early 1980s.
With the advent of the microprocessor and the use of serial link communication technology the K range was developed and introduced 10 years later only to be followed circa 10 years later by the MiCOM devices. Here again, so what you may say?
In the first instance the use of serial link technology gave rise to the use of acronyms or otherwise owing to the paradigm shift of technology at the time; one of which was SMART devices which was used in the USA. We would annunciate them as IEDs (Intelligent Electronic Devices). Yet here we are nearly 30 years later where the establishment would want everyone to believe that this is new technology.
Secondly, prior to the issue of the MiCOM devices engineers would refer to and annunciate the functional interconnectivity as DCS or DMS which is defined as Distributed Control System or Management System respectively. However, when I first viewed the MiCOM catalogue I noted the term Digital Control Systems to define DCS.
Knowing the man in charge I thought I ought to warn of the error but it would seem that control of such issues had passed from engineering to marketing and to another country?
It would seem therefore that annunciation has its part to play both in retaining technical nomenclature but also factual data and their associated etymology and possibly epistemology.
Incidentally, one of the reasons you may still have disc operated relays could be due to the transfer of designs from electro magnetic to static (CDG to MCGG). To this end, not all relay designs were duplicated one of which I remember as very extremely long time earth fault IDMT relay used for Neutral Earthing Resistor protection. This was used in addition to the E/F relay as a backup E/F relay typically operative after about 28 seconds.
I have also just remembered that it is not a TAA relay but a VAA relay. Last time I used one was about 20 years ago.