View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2016, 2:01 pm   #9
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: AKAI 1722-L reel to reel

Agreed but "opportunism knocks" I suppose-especially if the cam has crumbled or there are other faults mechanically. The 4000 is protected with no amp/spkr to exploit!

In the sixties I had a cheap domestic r to r machine which [unusually] could be switched through to use as a [2.5 watt] PA-like some projectors. I fed a guitar into the mike input and used an external Spkr to protect the one in the recorder. The mis match gave really good distortion without damaging the amp section. I was probaly lucky though.

The "reel" advantage of the Akai machines from my point of view was the 7" spools combined with professional looking inputs and meters. Cheaper machines with 5" spools and magic eyes had their limits. Being able to use a 7" spool of LP tape meant two hours of continuous recording at 3.75. This removed the frustration of not being able to record longer programs without having to turn over a tape or cassette. Also, over a lengthy evenings recording, I could pop to the pub, only needing to return every two hours or so

Dave W