Old 14th Mar 2019, 4:14 pm   #12
Sanbeta
Hexode

Smile Re: Sanyo 5000 Chuffed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMTAPE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelr2000 View Post
I have one issue left to cure, if you use reverse search it runs ok for a short while but leaves a crease in the tape which shows on the picture when you go forward again. Anyone know what to look for here?
I'd watch the tape carefully as it reverses to see where the tape is getting damaged and why. It may be at the capstan and pinch roller area. On the Sanyo's I have it's difficult to access and clean the capstan shaft. Even seeing it clearly is not easy. I remove the bottom cover to allow hand rotating of the capstan motor for cleaning. Similarly for the pinch roller once engaged but at least it's accessible in stop mode.

Ed: Ben and I overlapped. Agree with Ben. I cleaned/polished the reel motor's commutator on one of my Sanyo's only a few weeks ago with a thin strip of 1000 carborundum paper cut to just under the width of the comm.
You need to remove the capstan and on the VTC5000 and other models that unlace is a lot easier than on their earlier VTC 53/400 versions.
I do this on ALL the ones that come my way.
New belt's and maybe rubber idler just doesn't cut it with these now ,especially after 30 odd years. Not if you want it to last for many more.