Thread: Atari ST
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2019, 1:30 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Atari ST

Good idea, julie, (or a bootable CD).

It's unfortunate that Paulus.d's collection of original floppies has degenerated but there are thousands of .ST images of Atari ST discs to be found - I obviously can't be more specific. These images can written to a real 720K floppy on a Linux PC and then used in an ST, or, again, you can 'load' the .ST file versions in Hatari's virtual floppy drives.

Paulus.d, I don't have any problem with using those USB to DIN MIDI cables in Linux with recent versions of Atari, V2.0.0 onwards. Prior to V1.9.x, MIDI was theoretically supported in Linux Hatari but didn't actually work very well. During the development lifetime of Hatari V1.9, further tweaks were made which let programs like Cubase 2 run without problems, so even under Linux you need to be running V2.0.0 or later for trouble free MIDI support.

I assume your experience is with the Windows version which is most likely looking for an original Roland MPU-401 MIDI port card or clone typically residing at I/O address 330H. Most of the soundcard / game port MIDI interfaces emulate the Roland card at 'UART' level at least.