View Single Post
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:52 pm   #18
Darrencambs
Triode

Default Re: Blaupunkt Arkansas 43942 Restoration

Thanks for the tip Bill. I've read about that but, this being the first time I've worked on a mains powered valve radio, you will understand I'm approaching this with a degree of caution so need to be 100% sure I'm shorting the correct pin.

I've taken half a dozen or so of these caps out of circuit and checked them. All are showing +/- 10% of labelled values, and none are showing any leakage under the meter (not checked at operating voltages though as I don't have the kit for that).

I've replaced the mains cable with a 3A three-core. I've not yet made my mind up about earthing, but I think I'll leave it disconnected for now.

I have ordered some replacement grid coupling caps (22nF / 630V, whereas original were 450V) but, having done a bit more research, the original WIMA ones do appear to have a decent reputation for longevity, so I am tempted to keep them and preserve the originality.

The Granada schematic appears, to me, to be the same as the layout for the Arkansas - albeit minus the socket for the autochanger, and I haven't spotted any mains smoothing caps but will have another look this weekend.

My main concern is the big can that sits under the mains transformer. The schematic indicates it's all connected to the stepped-down side, but I do need to research this more. It is packed into a can of a similar size to the unexploded WWII bomb that's just been floated away from City Airport for a controlled explosion though, and that worries me! Can anyone tell me what's inside and whether I should be reforming it before I go any further? A couple of pics of the transformer are attached.

I have four or five multi-meters, freshly-built lamp-limiter with 15w, 25w, 40w, and 60w conventional bulbs, halogen bulbs 'equivalent to 100w', plus an RCD and 1A and 2A fuses. Unfortunately, no variac though.

I'm itching to fire her up via the lamp limiter, but don't want my enthusiasm to get the better of me, so welcome any advice from forum members who have much more experience than me.

As an aside, I'll have a look over the weekend at the valves and autochanger I pulled out of the scrapped Challenger and post-up some details. I don't think any of them are compatible with the Arkansas, but hopefully they will be serviceable and someone here will be able to make use of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	157326   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	157327   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	140