View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2018, 1:55 pm   #13
Ancient Geek
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: New restoration project - Roland XP-50

Well, now I'm in a bit of a quandary. As suspected, the memory backup battery, a CR2032, was down to 150 mV. After replacing the battery, temporarily taking the LCD contrast line to ground to see what was going on, and doing a system reset, practically everything now works, including the LCD once the contrast setting was set correctly. There is no sign of capacitor leakage. So, given the history of these units, do I recap or not?

The aftertouch seems a little weak, in that a lot of pressure is required. I've not used a keyboard with aftertouch before, so I don't know how normal it is.

The one thing that doesn't work is the floppy drive. It looks like someone might have been there before me, as the screw is missing from the bottom shielding plate. I think I'll spend some time triying to understand what's going on with this drive.

Mark -- the XP-50 default is equal temperament, but each note in the octave is adjustable in cents. Adjustments apply to each octave. Clearly it was just a memory corruption issue I was seeing.