View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 9:40 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Rust removal from steel component on the cheap.

In the mixture described in the OP, the active constituent is the acetic acid which is working as a chelating agent (discussed on this forum, and else where in detail). This is being assisted by the peroxide, which is decomposed to produce bubbles of oxygen gas, but that's probably just acting as a means of agitation.

Citric acid is a better chelating agent than acetic and is cheap and readily available.

Re David's ultrasonic bath, I suspect that would work well if you used a warm solution of citric acid in it. I've tried electrolysis and the problem is that you struggle to get uniform fields with irregularly shaped objects and I've given up on it.

For anything of size, my starting point is always my trusty angle grinder with a wire brush. Today, I've cleaned up the thin steel backplate on my Suffolk Punch lawn mower on which the powder coating (powder coatings are often ) had failed miserably. Angler grinder, citric acid, zinc phosphate primer, top coat, and it will probably now outlast me .

B