View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2017, 7:38 pm   #83
Fourlegsgood
Tetrode

Default Re: Free Standardised Valves

David,

I am glad you got to the bottom of it. I thought it was strange. Your DC tester and my VCM163 followed almost identical curves for Valve 1 with no kinks but there was a variation on Valve 5 and it was the DC tester curve that had a kink and so was perhaps why it was prime suspect.

Regarding the heater voltage drop, I have always wondered about this on my VCM163 because the heater voltage with no load is accurate but when the test is underway and the heater is drawing current the heater voltage can drop considerably. I noticed this when testing some 2A3 valves. My inclination was to ignore the dial setting and keep winding the heater voltage it up until I got the correct voltage under load (as measured on a MM). I did post a question in the AVO163 sticky about this but it went unanswered.

ANYWAY, I am sending 6AU5GT Nr 1 back to Richard and 6AU5GT Nr 5 is available to be sent on. Just send me a PM with your address and I will respond with a PayPal address for postage payment and then send the valve on.

Thank you again to David for initiating this fun and useful exercise.

regards, Nick