View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 3:30 pm   #31
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Is it wrong to sell your restorations?

It's not easy to categorise many of us as being this or that in hard terms of being a collector or a trader. I find that my collecting and restoring choices meander within the broader category of vintage wireless. At the moment my 'thing' is mainly, though not exclusively, concerned with large hifi receivers from the late 70s and early 80s. Since I got into this mode, around a year ago, I have purchased and restored a number of such 'sets'. For a variety of reasons including..

* Having restored them and 'had my fun out of them'
* Moving it on to fund another purchase
* Didn't like it as much as I thought I would
* I only have so much room
* etc etc...

....I sometimes sell sets that I've only recently bought and restored, and in the process called upon help from the very nice, helpful members of the forum. Does that make me a 'cold' buyer/seller who only uses the forum for help in order to 'make money'? not at all. From my standpoint I have slavishly written and photographed quite a few restorations with viewing figures in the 1000s, so without blowing my own trumpet, I do give back to the forum, and not just with those 'tomes', but daily too.

The point I'm making is, I think 'the forum' often takes too hard a line with anyone who so much as mentions the auction site. Apart from that, and echoing previous posts, I have also had posts removed seemingly on a whim or for nebulous reasons. I also recently suggested a sticky. The suggestion was not taken up, the response being, "..the problem is, people don't read stickies". In that case, why do we have them at all if people don't read them?! I love the forum but I'm afraid more and more I feel that my hands are tied when wanting to say the most innocuous of things. Good, tight moderation is essential for any forum in my opinion. No doubt about it. I have been on many forums, in many subjects, where people use expletives, bad mouth each other etc etc, and no-one wants that. But I do feel that things could be a little 'looser' to the benefit of all on this forum. That's my honest opinion.