View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2020, 4:06 pm   #97
CrazySwede
Tetrode

Default Re: Trying to revive a Goodmans One Ten receiver

So, now I have been listening to the One Ten a bit more and find it to sound quite good but not as good as the JVC vr5535l that is my daily driver.

It sounds a bit more veiled/dull with less transparency and clearness than the JVC.

I don´t know if it´s just it´s character of sound, a speaker mismatch or a case of ageing components. The only replacement I have done is the faulty transistor in the power supply and the two big reservoar caps (replaced with same specs).

Regarding the speakers I am using are seventies Swedish Sentec SP77:s that have two bass elements and two tweeters each. They are spec:ed (according to a leaflet I found online):
Power 50w
impedance 8 ohms
Sensitivity 4w

I also have a pair of Boston Acoustics A60:s that I may try. They are spec:ed:
Frequency Response: 55 Hz - 22,000 Hz ±3 dB
Crossover Frequency: 6 dB/octave at 3000 Hz
Impedance: 8 Ω nominal, 6 Ω minimum
Sensitivity (at 1 watt/m input): 90 dB
Recommended Amplifier Power: 10 to 60 watts per channel

Are these a better match?

On the matter of recap, is this a path to explore and are there any specific capacitors exept for the reservoir (already replaced) I could start looking at? Unfortunately I´m still a newbie regarding reading schematics and understanding the works of different components. But if I get some pointers on which component number to replace I can probably manage process of solder it right. The One Ten seems fortunately pretty easy to access for this kind of job.
But still, I´d rather try to pinpoint a few caps than tearing them all out

Here´s the service manual if anyone wants to take a peek:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yVeIvMhRFWPxUyPCpw28FlZgEhwAUIEf/view?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for any wisdom regarding this!