View Single Post
Old 8th May 2019, 6:37 pm   #39
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Reel to reel revival

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
It seems the resurgence in reel-to-reel is mainly geared toward the ultra high end of the market.

Then again the interest might spill over to lower-end machines too.
There's s definitely something going on. A year ago, old tape recorders would struggle to sell for a couple of quid at my local auctions, but over the last few months I've noticed the price has been going up.

Below is a picture of one that I happened to take a photo of on the viewing day and I was there on the day of the auction only last month, and it sold for something like £92. It may have been slightly more, but it was ninety something, and there's the commission etc. on top of that, which would have taken it to over a hundred. I was hoping to get it for something like a fiver, which would have been the usual a year ago, but the auctioneer announced that commission bids had been left and he was therefore starting the bidding at £30 and it just went mad and was all over in about 30 seconds with it selling to someone in the room for over £90! I was shocked, although it did look a nice example of the machine, a Grundig TK24, complete with original mic and several tapes.

Someone I know who I sometimes do a few repairs for, told me he recently sold an old 60s portable on an internet auction site for £103, so something is going on - you tell me...?

Pictures I took of the Grundig are shown below. There was one other item in the lot that can just be partially seen on the right of the picture, which was an old sewing machine in a wooden box, but although there's usually a buyer for these, they don't go for more than a few quid (under a tenner) on a good day:-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120549.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	182716   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1120551.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	182717