View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2022, 10:49 pm   #15
G0HZU_JMR
Dekatron

Default Re: AD831 mixer query

To show what I mean, I just tried measuring the source VSWR of my Marconi 2024 sig gen when set to 100uV emf at 145MHz and it measured about 1.04:1 across HF and through VHF. By 1GHz it had degraded to just under 1.1:1.

I also tried feeding the output to a high impedance scope input set to 1Meg input and swept the sig gen across a few MHz to about 200MHz. I used a 2m long 50R coax cable for the connection. The output emf at the end of the cable was quite constant at every frequency. Any ripple was quite subtle. I'd expect your 2023 to be the same. I had to use the FFT function to see the tiny 100uV signal. I also did the test at about -35dBm output so I could see it on a regular scope voltage vs time display and the result was the same. hardly any visible ripple.

At high sig gen output levels, the source match will degrade because there will be less output attenuation in the sig gen and the ripple seen on the scope will get much worse. A lot depends on the make/model of sig gen. My 2024 performs badly in tests like this at high output power levels as it is the high power (+25dBm) variant.