View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2017, 11:29 pm   #18
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pilot PT650 "Spacemaker" Television

Good evening,
Well, I have been making progress with the project this week, although on the face of it it looks like I've been turning something that looked like a TV chassis into a pile of bits
I've never gone to this level before with a TV, usually I only do the minimum necessary to make it functional. Because of the dire state of this one though, it has rather lead me into a total restoration which is proving interesting and very enjoyable!
I have stripped all the components from the top deck which contains the frame timebase and power supply. This necessarily takes a while as I have been making sketches of the component positions and checking everything against the circuit. I have no qualms about replacing these components as most of them are very distressed anyway.
I was originally planning to keep the component side of the right hand line timebase board intact as this had not suffered too much with rust. However, I was going to replace the caps anyway and probably the high value resistors as well so I ended up stripping both sides of this board as well
Anyway, by this morning I had prepared all the bits of metal that I was planning to refurbish and had a large pile ready for sand blasting. (see third picture)
I have now finished the blasting and the last picture shows all the bits having been treated with anti-rust panel prep (basically phosphoric acid).
The plan was to get everything Zinc plated, but it seems we do not have enough other bits to make up an order. There is a £75 minimum order and I can't justify spending that on this project
So the next best thing is to paint the bits. I share the workshop (car rather than tv) with two car bodywork guys which is handy as Jon has mixed some paint to match the original plated finish. This is metallic silver with a dash of light metallic gold. This gives a slightly yellow tinge which is how the original plated bits appear. The end result looks quite acceptable in the tests we have done.
Once I've neutralised the Phosphoric acid tomorrow, I'll have to mask off the connection pins in the chassis to prevent them getting painted. I tried removing them but they won't come out.
Hopefully, Jon is going to paint everything on Monday and then I can't wait to start the rebuild!
The first picture shows just how bad the frame timebase components were before being stripped.
Cheers nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN0334.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	139097   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN0335.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	139098   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN0336.JPG