View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2010, 11:52 am   #13
Retired
Heptode

Default Re: Restorer's dream.

Hi Danny,

Many thanks for this and also your welcome email. It's good though to hear your GEC is to be restored and perhaps you would post details in due course? Good luck with the restoration.

I was kindly offered an Ekco TSC48 TV by a member and would have jumped at this as it too is in a sorry condition and would make a wonderful restoration project but had to sadly decline the offer due to it's large size; I could not restore it in the workshop and if I did restore it in the garage I still wouldn't have space to display it; the asking price was fair and within my budget. I feel this set fully restored would be quite impressive and if the set was offered for sale on this forum another member with more space would enjoy restoring it.

I was also offered a second Ekco by a member this time a more modern table model set it being an Ekco T311. I thought Danny's GEC was rough looking but this Ekco I believe would be rejected by a skip or the local tip; the physical size is more suited to my space and with lots of missing and peeling veneer it will be an excellent project; it even sports vintage wood worm holes which I'm assured are no threat and the finish is abysmal. A bonus is that I'm further informed I'm less likely to have my hair stand on end if I decide to have a go at repairing the chassis.

What other hobby gives such immense satisfaction for an outlay of £20; I wonder if it's possible to over restore it; now that would be something.

Kind regards, Col.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco T311.jpg
Views:	742
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	43388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ekco TV.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	43389