View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2018, 2:22 pm   #45
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: No Speech Recognition

Quote:
Under the infrequent circumstances when the user is actually using it to talk to anyone in real-time, they must not be reminded in any way that they are talking into a radio transmitter.
My sister was once astonished to be told that her 'phone' contained a radio transceiver (and, essentially, a computer). I asked her to show me the wires; then she understood why it has to contain a radio. This conversation started with her expressing surprise that something she had bought for £20 had to be insured for £200; how could a mere 'phone' be so expensive?

My understanding is that the original GSM (2G) speech quality was a compromise, and worse than landline (which is itself a compromise from an earlier era). Newer systems may be better, but often people are actually using 2G for voice even with a 4G phone. Transcoding from one system to another may degrade quality (that is a feature of lossy compression), so system P talking to system Q could be a bit worse than whichever is the worse of these two. Then throw in real-life problems in radio propagation in a changing multipath multi-transmitter environment and it is a wonder that mobiles work at all.