View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2020, 10:28 am   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Very interesting auction of communications equipment

Thanks for the link Chris - such a huge amount of gear for sale in one auction!

It will be interesting to see how much some of the lots realise as compared with the nominal estimates of the auctioneers. EG:

Lot 3340: 8 Heathkit items, estimate £70 - £100
Lot 3341: Another 7 Heathkit items (£50 - £70)
Lot 3342: Yet another 7 Heathkit items. (£50 - £70).
Lot 3344: 6 items including two 1155s, Eddystone EB35 (non worker), Yaesu TXcvr etc. Estimate £40 - £60.

Quite a lot of commonplace 'car boot sale' type sets too - DAC90/90As, KB 'Toaster', Murphy 'U198' etc.

Time was when the only bidders would be those in the auction room or who've left bids with the auctioneer.

Nowadays, with internet, auctions are open to a much greater range of bidders, which can be a benefit to the seller in terms of prices achieved, and to collectors who have easy 'armchair' access to auctions far away from where they live. But that said, I imagine that there is a small and reducing number of people interested in such a large amount of military equipment, which may reflect in lower prices being attained.

The age poll on this forum shows that the age range is skewed to older people, many of whom - such as myself - are more interested in disposing of rather than collecting equipment. Military equipment is bulky, heavy, unattractive in a domestic setting, has little utility value, and for the most part will just sit on shelves. I think the age poll on here is reasonably representative of those with an interest in amateur and military equipment. Only 6% of those in the age poll are aged under 40, 42 % are aged over 60 and 25% are over 70. I doubt that the results of a poll on VMARS would be much different.

If- as may well be the case - all of this clobber belonged to one person, it's not so much a 'collection' - more a hoard!