View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2016, 9:13 pm   #135
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: Old torches - anyone here collect them?

Brigham, thanks, I hadn't realised a No.8 is 3 volts. I wonder if the original bulb would cope with the 3.7v rechargeable I have in there?
I am not looking for complete authenticity in this, although I would not want to change it irreversibly. Although I don't really like very bright torches in all situations, my eyes are needing more light and the Cree LED's are very effective and economical. The bull's eye in this one produces a marvelously clear and uniform area of light. This little torch with the same bulb, and less voltage (3.7 against 4.5), is quite a bit brighter than the reflector torch in post 33, the reflector there is tarnished. I had imagined a bull's eye torch to be quite dim before I got this working. Given it's size it is likely to become my favourite for general use.
I do think it would have had a covering originally. The light end and the battery cap are both nickel plated, and the middle bit is not, and looks to me unfinished as found. The switch rivet looked rough - I am sure it would not have been left looking unfinished like that if there was no cover. It will be easy enough to change the covering and bulb in future.