View Single Post
Old 6th Jul 2019, 10:39 am   #4
Luxman1050
Octode

Default Re: Quad FM1 questions

Hi. Thanks for replies.

Okay I'll try that see what happens although does not quite make sense to me why have a strap and wire separated on the coaxial plug which plugs into the tuner but wire the other ends together? Thought been easier just to have single input for aerial and one for earth as on most radio/tuners? Is that just Quad trying to be different?

I'm running it through Quad Acoustic QC2 pre amp and the Quad Mono Block. Have run CD player through it but sounds awful I'm assuming will need adapter to sort that out again not sure why an aux was just not added. Seems to me Quad made it incredibly complicated to use for some reason. To be honest I was expecting a top piece of quality kit but compared to my 1960 Trio Stereophonic WS38 receiver quality is nowhere near the same. I suppose that's why there are so many for sale.

The white caps test good but not always convinced that means there not leaking or causing noise. I was curious as to what type these are as previously said never come across them before and they are dual 2 x 1000pF with three terminals. The other caps all Hunts and casings falling apart off most of them although most test good and within spec. Most of resistors or out of spec by about 20/35%. All valves seem fine on my Taylor tester.