View Single Post
Old 16th May 2011, 9:21 pm   #64
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default Re: NVCF May 15th 2011

My thoughts re the comments about high prices for some items.

Some folk there are traders and have to make their living (or part thereof) from it. Costs of hiring the stall, fuel/vehicle expenses and possibly even having to rent storage units, etc. This will reflect in the pricing.
Others there are fellow collectors having a clear out who just want to recoup whatever they can to make space for future projects. This is where the bargains can usually be found!

I arrived early at 9am. I don't live too far away and decided that what I'd otherwise be saving on fuel I would put into the early entrance fee. I'd made my two main purchases of the day by 10am. The Stella TV and Rega as I've mentioned earlier in the thread were both a snip at £20 each (something with 'Rega' on it for 20 quid?!). I consider them both to be good buys, many happy hours of fun in the workshop for not too much money. I spent about the same again on bits, pieces and a full english! And I enjoyed spending every penny of it! But there were a lot of 'early birds' and maybe that's where the bargains went?

But this isn't fair on those who can't justify the extra entrance premium or have to travel so far they can't get there any earlier.

Another observation: While valve audio equipment is never cheap, I did think that some of the 70' to 90's transistorised hifi was priced a little optimistically, along with some very tatty looking pairs of speakers!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NVCF 003.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	51219   Click image for larger version

Name:	NVCF 005.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	51220  

BVWS committee chairman