View Single Post
Old 10th May 2019, 3:12 pm   #21
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Decca PC/ML Console radio of 1939 find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic 52 View Post
Thanks Mike, its interesting to learn that two build types were made. From what I can find out it seems that my PC/ML is a rare set. Yesterday I had a go at the field coil. I made up a coil holder cum winding rig on an old piece of chipboard and used a couple of re-inforcement straps to hold the reels. I cut out two hardboard 'caps' to mount the field coil. I'll post a video later but for now enclose some photos. Turning the reels by hand took hours & hours! I finally got to the break and of course they had to be right near the core! Two greenspot points, multiple turns were corroded, one of which had obviously burnt out with current. Cutting a long process short I re-wound the coil bobbin using my battery electric drill with plenty of speed control and care! By 11:30pm I had it wound. I now have to cover and re-solder the connection wires before re-fitting the hum bucking coil. This is not a job for the feint hearted! Does anyone know the gauge of this wire? I don't have a micrometer. Thanks.
Hi. Many thanks for your reply.
The American octal type was brought to me for repair, the pointer drive cord was broken - this was not shown on the manuals. The owner never returned to collect the radio either. The material that was incorporated in the back cover also suffered badly.
Hope you get your speaker sorted out
Cheers
Mike