Thread: Atari ST
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2019, 12:00 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Atari ST

It sounds as though you need to proceed a bit more carefully and patiently, unfortunately. I assume you are trying to fit alternative drives because the original drive is faulty in some way.

If it's just a broken original drive, there are people around who sell refurbished / tested replacement Atari ST parts like floppy disc drives, so maybe the simplest solution would be to buy one of those. If you've damaged the cable and broken the IDC connector for the floppy on the PCB, you can probably get a cable from the same place as a replacement drive but it will, again, take some care, patience and reasonable soldering skills to replace the connector at the main board end of the cable if that's the one which is damaged. If it's the one at the floppy drive end you could just cut off the original plug and put a new IDC plug on the end of the cable.

If you just want to run Atari ST MIDI sequencer software like Cubase 2, the current version (V2.1.0) of the 'Hatari' ST emulator for Linux computers works very well with a typical USB to 5-DIN midi cable. I sometimes use that setup rather than drag out and set up all the components of my real ST systems.

Historically speaking, MIDI support on Hatari for Windows was mostly non-existent but just lately there have been moves by third-party developers to try to add MIDI capability to the Windows version of Hatari. I don't know how far they have managed to get with that.