View Single Post
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 9:14 am   #51
PaulM
Hexode

Default Re: The Ever-Ready experimental transistor TV set.

This has been a truly interesting restoration project - well done! Also congratulations to the design team - a wonderful piece of design work.

What puzzles me is what must have gone on behind the scenes at Ever Ready management level? The need for less power-hungry wider deflection angles had been one of drivers for new TV product development for years, with one of the few exceptions being high-end applications where function was (at that time) more important than form (eg., broadcast TV monitors). The marketing folk at Ever Ready - if there were any on this project - must have looked aghast at the set's depth. However, for a portable, does it matter so long as it's light weight?

I suspect that this was an engineer led project (nothing wrong with that), and that the marketing boys and arty 'designers' weren't involved until later (if at all). Could it have been a commercial success? I believe that with the right marketing it could have been because the running hours would have been unbeatable - at least for a while. Perhaps Ever Ready just saw this as a seed to inspire other manufacturers to develop their own versions using - of course - the Ever Ready battery!

This is a rare hardware insight into the development cycle of a TV product and it's much more than a 'might have been' - a little gem for historians to savour. I wonder if any records survive in the Ever Ready archives? A curious company, founded as the American Electrical Novelty & Manufacturing Company This looks like one of the novelties! Something of its story (noting the British off shoot) is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eveready_Battery_Company
The British off shoot here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...trical_Company

Many thanks for saving that set - it's such an interesting model and must have an interesting back-story.

Best regards,

Paul M