View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2015, 1:26 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: Very rusty ViewMaster TV

Hello David,
Now why did you have to obtain that Viewmaster and keep me up late tonight? It is not too bad and should be an easy fix.

I have the full viewmaster service data, modifications and plans. If you want them, please let me know.

I have had this channel 3 chassis version hanging around the workshop for years! I didn't bother with it as I didn't want to play around with the channel selector on the Aurora and maybe break the switch..I decided to pull it out early this evening and give it a go.

I also robbed the Mazda tube for another project so thought it might be fun to fit a Dumont 5FP7 tube. of WW2 vintage that I have had for very many years.
This tube has a 5" screen, magnetic focus and deflection, 6.3v heater, a standard neck diameter and an octal base. It also has a double layer, very long persistance screen....At least five minutes as can be seen from the picture. On a test card it looks fine but on moving images, well you can imagine. Picture looks like a watercolour that has been left out in the rain.

Chassis faults were just caps in the thyratron timebase generators and output stages. Just a bit of fun but the original constructor made a first class job of it. I also had to fit an 'ELAC' focus assembly in place of the original as it was not suitable for a tetrode tube and gave poor focus.
Hope you sort it out. John.
PS The second picture shows the afterglow, three minutes after turning off!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	110854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Viewmaster (1).jpg
Views:	869
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	110855