View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2020, 11:30 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: GPO 232 Pyramid phone with attached bell box

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF80TVVALVE View Post
Yes I agree that it does look like a bit of a Frankensteins monster. The capacitor on the bell set is secured by a capacitor clamp. The base of the unit does have a stamping on, actually it has two but one is so rubbed and blurry that I can't make sense of what it is but attached is a picture. There is no markings or diagrams anywhere else, trying to identify it is a complete mystery.

The terminal strip in the phone looks identical to a 162 so maybe it was a 162 that has been butchered a little. This phone has obviously been like this for a long time as it was seized up and quite dusty and corroded. Still, I'm not going to give up on it and I'm going to look for spare parts to put it right.
That answers the question! It is what is left of a Telephone L11549 made by Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Co later Automatic Telephone & Electric Ltd of Strowger Works in Edge Lane Liverpool. See https://britishtelephones.com/atm/l11549.htm I'm sure I've got one amongst my Bakelite phones.

One of the problems these days is that unless the phone hasn't been touch since in service, it can have had parts changed.