View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2020, 9:19 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: GPO 232 Pyramid phone with attached bell box

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF80TVVALVE View Post
Thanks for the replies both, I found it unusual to have the coil in the bell box too as I can't find any photos similar online. I have attached a picture of the internals of the main phone unit. Currently it is stripped somewhat but all that is missing is the dial mechanism and the four wires which go to the bell box. There is also no sign of any coil being previously fitted into the main phone unit.

Also the wires to the bell box are actually fed through holes drilled in the top of the bell house casing so there are no wires connecting the phone and bell box externally and the handset cable goes to the bell box directly leaving the hole at the rear of the pyramid casting free from any cables.

The coil in the bell box looks to be an original fitment too, it's all too neat for this to be done by someone by the looks of things.
Sadly it is a 'bitsa' telephone and bellset. .The bellset has the 'looks' of a Bellset No 25 but it is not an original GPO terminal strip as that also had an 'E' earth terminal on it The wiring isn't up to the standards of the GPO - the capacitor doesn't appear to be fastened to the chassis. Are there any markings on the rear of the chassis which give clue? Are there any other marking on telephone or bellset - unusual not to have markings/diagram inside telephone. Is there a diagram inside the bellset lid?

When it comes to the telephone. It definitely isn't a GPO Tele 232 as the 'terminal' block/switch set is missing terminals 7 and 8. It is also missing its Induction Coil No 27 (No 24 on earlier models). The Telephone No 162 also had an Induction Coil as well as there being one in the Bellset No 25 - appears to be missing from this telephone. The circuit diagram of a Tele 162 and a Bellset 25 is diagram No N4200 http://www.samhallas.co.uk/repositor...4000/N4200.pdf

The GPO never drilled a hole in the top of a bellset to connect it to the telephone - the connection was done with a 'Cord 3/74 9inch' which came out of the rear of the telephone and went into the cord entry on the bellset which was normally on the LH side of the telephone. I've bought a couple of genuine original ones on eBay recently. Someone does produce repro ones on eBay - note they were never a plaited cord as another seller produces.

The term 'king pyramid' is a modern tern - never heard it used during my days wit the GPO in the 1950/6's. First heard it in the early 1990's .

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 3rd May 2020 at 9:39 pm.