View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2019, 8:20 pm   #38
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Back To The future with a C90

Hoping this won't be too OT, I found some documentary programs yesterday related to the Journalist Ray Gosling [I recorded them on VHS tape circa 2006/7]. He died six years ago [November 2013]. This was in very sad circumstances, after losing the Nottingham house he'd lived in for forty years [when it could have been avoided]. He wrote and produced over a thousand programs for BBC Radio. There's a scene in his crowded cellar/office where he's looking at boxes of these [all on standard issue Beeb audio cassettes-hopefully not originals.] He finished up reduced to living in a sheltered housing situation [looking much too young for that]. His house contents were just skipped, as far as I know. I'm going to find out what the Broadcaster has preserved in it's archive. BBC4 let him make the three TV programs. The last one [about pensions] won an award in 2007!

Dave W

I know what the BBC audio cassettes looked like as I'd missed most of a R4 play in the eighties [no repeats then] and the producer offered to send me a copy, after I wrote in praising it to her. She stressed the need for absolute secrecy as it was no longer permitted to do this "in -house". The cassette arrived but it was blank. I wrote to say that there had not been any security breach as the tape had nothing on it and I hoped it was a mistake, not a change of heart!! I got a very apologetic letter two weeks later saying she had been dashing off on holiday and had now enclosed a tape with content included!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 27th Nov 2019 at 8:45 pm.