View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2019, 9:10 pm   #12
Goodizzy
Pentode

Default Re: A few fusing questions on UK gear here in the US

Thanks for the continued input, it is most appreciated! The "solid state" UK receivers/amps I have are:

-Leak Stereo 30
-Leak Stereo 30+
-Armstrong 525
-Armstrong 526
-Rogers Ravensbourne

All of these receivers/amps have a voltage selector for PT primary taps between 110V-240V. All except the Leak amps have manufacturer's manuals which indicated the appropriate sized fuse to use if you are NOT running on 240V mains. I have been using these manuals as well as looking at manufacturer's schematics or parts lists for the amps to determine the appropriate sized fuse to use. I have had no problems so far. Also, I only have two full receiver/speaker systems in my house, but have the ability, (and forgiving spouse!) to expand that up to four, which is why I am trying to get this under wraps.

I have run several of the amps on a step-up at one time but am slowly trying to ease myself back to using our 125V mains standard here. I have been checking DC voltages against the schematics to determine whether or not a bump transformer is necessary as the mains wall voltage has increased +-15V since the 60s here in the US.

The only manuals that are not explicit in fuse ratings for 125V are the Leak manuals, and I had a 1.6A fitted in the Stereo 30 plus AC fuse, (called for in schematic) for around a year with no adverse effect or blown fuses. (A 1.6 was in both AC and DC fuse positions!) Of course, I never go beyond about halfway on the volume control with the sensitive speakers and with the non-recapped amp.

After taking Paul's advise into consideration, I thought that it would be much easier to just replace the UK plugs with US 125V 15A plugs or else re-solder a whole new cord/plug into the equipment. This is due to the fact that he explained how each radial circuit is protected in US house wiring. The plug fuse, then, seems to be a non-issue and not necessary.

I am only an amateur hobbyist, but have been fiddling with these things for several years and am certainly open to being corrected if I am in error here.

Last edited by Goodizzy; 17th Nov 2019 at 9:37 pm.