Thread: Fender amp copy
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2019, 5:10 pm   #6
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Fender amp copy

I see that you have the mains transformer, choke and output transformer aligned correctly (original mains transformers are drop-through, the choke and output transformers are top-mount with the cores parallel, but the reverb transformer would be better at a 45-degree angle to prevent coupling.

I would probably look for a speaker that is a bit more "American" - Jensen speakers are now made in Italy, if I remember correctly.

I have to admire your attitude to making clones of classic amps. I started to make a copy of a Fender Deluxe Reverb some years ago (I still haven't completed it, either) but eventually baulked at bending my own chassis. I am also adding some modifications - there is a "middle" control on the vibrato channel, the reverb circuit has "tone" and "dwell" controls a la Fender stand-alone reverb unit and I have also added a "presence" control. I do hope I can complete it before I keel over!

Colin.

I hope you at least used carbon film resistors, or better carbon composition. I completely "refurbished" my Vox AC30 years ago and used metal-film resistors - not a good idea, as a certain amount of the old Vox mojo was lost. I am also working on putting this mistake right, too.

Last edited by ColinTheAmpMan1; 9th Sep 2019 at 5:23 pm. Reason: More info.