View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2015, 10:18 pm   #174
Takapuna
Tetrode

Default Re: Calling Hacker Hunter owners!

Hello Mark,

I've stuck pretty much with valve sets in the past but all the good things said about the Hacker Hunter forced me to get one!

I fitted a pair of PP9s (from CPC; not a bad price considering the free delivery) and it works, drawing 20mA on VHF. Maybe I shouldn't be too surprised. First impressions are that it's very good and I can see why the Hunter has such a following. I did not listen for too long before stripping it for a good clean...couldn't help myself.

Details of my Hunter are:
Model Designation: Hacker Hunter VHF RP38A
Serial Number: 13676
Handle Type: One piece (No insert)
Grille Type: Pressed aluminium mesh, Hacker name embossed bottom right hand
DC Input: No
Headphone Socket: Yes
Scale: White with some Green lettering.
Loudspeaker: Elac, Grey painted with gold magnet
Tone Controls: Yes Silver with black skirt
All black Rexine covered.
A.209 Amplifier board.

I notice that according to your list it should have an insert in the handle. However, I can't see a serial number on the case to tie it absolutely to the chassis.

It has been fitted with a replacement volume control (47k Log), the work being neatly carried out other that the fact that whoever fitted it made a flat on the shaft in the wrong position so the index is approximately 180 degrees from where it should be. Not a big issue really. However, I note that the volume control is very coarse immediately past the point of switch-on. There is a rapid increase in volume over just a few degrees of rotation. Is this usual?

Also, I note that on the track side of both the IF and tuner sections there is a considerable amount of flux remaining around most joints. I don't think that the joints have been re-touched but it looks a bit like that. No other components have been changed. So I was wondering if they are all like this and not cleaned after manufacture?

Thanks for any comments.

Regards,

Phil.
----