View Single Post
Old 14th Jul 2012, 7:22 pm   #13
Colin
Heptode

Default Re: A supplier of Hammered finish aerosol paint

Thanks for all those who took the time to offer good advice in this thread, it's much appreciated. I tried contacting Hammerite but no joy I'm afraid. They were less than keen to go out of their way to supply me with a single aerosol of Wild Thyme. Can't blame them really.

Alan's suggestion of Technical Paint Services was a little more productive in that they have a vast range of hammered finish paint colours. However, very few aerosol colours and the tinned paint is only sold in industrial quantities. Minimum of 5 litres for the colours I wanted, and that starts around £45.

I decided to compromise on the aerosol and go for a brush job, after all, it's hard to make a mess of a hammered finish. Isn't it? I bought 250mi tins of silver and green hammered finish Hammerite and experimented with mixing colours for a while. Eventually I found that adding around 15ml of the dark green and 5ml of black Hammerite (which I already had on the shelf) to a full 250ml tin of hammered silver, produced a colour that was almost perfect when painted on top of the original painted panel. Success!

I've painted the panels and am waiting for them to dry, but I think they'll be fine. I've still got most of the 250ml tin left, but it's marked up, and will no doubt come in handy in the future.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Regards
Colin