View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2010, 5:34 pm   #22
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Re: Build of a Micropower AM 'Pantry' Transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
Could i ask where most of the bits came from?
Preset capacitors - one salvaged from goodness knows where, one bought from Bi-Pak 25+ years ago.

Other capacitors - mostly Farnell (electrolytics are long-life 105 deg C Rubycon; non-polariseds are Wima polyester and polyproplylene except for C11 which is silvered mica from LCR, surplus part from a minimum order quantity at work; and C14 which is a Rifa polypropylene with a fair current rating to couple out the RF [and NOT one of their epoxy moulded impregnated paper types which I avoid like the plague!]).

Resistors - RS, Farnell, etc. All metal film except for two wirewounds (vitreous Welwyn W21 type).

Potentiometers - preset just sets my auxiliary DC output voltage, Bourns 3386 cermet. Input level is a combined potentiometer/knob made by Sfernice/Vishay. Both from Farnell

Semiconductors - RS, Farnell, etc

Ferrites - mostly Deltron Hawnt, although RS / Farnell sell them. Think they have enamelled wire, too.

Matrix board - RS (the plain stuff seems to be getting rarer. Shame - it's my favourite!)

Box - ebay, less than a fiver I seem to remember.

Connectors - RS, Farnell, Electrovalue (no longer with us ). RS for the two chunky connectors for aerial and earth which are spring-loaded and accept bare ends, really good but they're a bit expensive and moreover not insulated from panel. So, as I used a brass panel (from friendly one-man engraving shop), I had to design an insulating bush for the aerial (made by another friendly engineering shop using Tufnol rod from ebay).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
Most of the components look straight forward to source with the possible exception the coils; where could I get them or will I have to wind them myself?
'Fraid so, though as you can see they are all single-winding jobbies. I'll put up the details in the next few days. Worst thing is the bobbins are a bit fragile so they need supporting well, otherwise pressure of layers of wire can break off the flanges.

Last edited by kalee20; 26th Apr 2010 at 5:41 pm. Reason: Correct spelling