View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 8:26 am   #7
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Best 100MHz analogue oscilloscope?

If you really want an analogue scope, and I have much sympathy for you in that (I still turn to a good analogue scope before a digital one for debugging) how about the Tektronix 2445? The 24xx series are considered by many to be the pinnacle of portable analogue scope design. There are many models in the series, the 2445 having 150MHz bandwidth and the 2465 300MHz+. They have lots of useful features, the cursor measurements are good, and they're reliable. Stories abound on the Internet of people dealing with capacitor failures in their 2465Bs, but there's a simple solution to that: don't get a 2465B. The earlier 2465, for example, doesn't have failure-prone capacitors. The 2445 will be similar.

I keep a 2465 in the loft in our house in the UK to use when I'm here. I bought it in about 2004 from M&B Radio in Leeds and I've literally never had the covers off it. Last June I visited for the first time in 18 months because of the pandemic. Got the scope, switched on, no problem. This week I pulled it out again after another 6 month break - works perfectly, everything still accurate. Not bad for a 35-year-old scope. Of course, with equipment this old, anything could happen, but the fundamental design of the 2465 seems very solid.

Chris