View Single Post
Old 3rd Apr 2012, 10:26 am   #127
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

I remember the technique of drilling holes in glass bottles being demonstrated on the "Mason Master" stand at one of the DIY exhibitions they used to hold in London in the 1950's, which I have used successfully since. Support bottle horizontally, make a ring with putty or modelling clay around the location of the hole, fill it with oil, and drill through the oil using a masonry bit in a hand drill, drilling slowly while applying fairly heavy pressure. Nowadays a slow speed electric drill, not available in the 1950's can probably be used. Smooth off the hole with a piece of carborundum paper [wet & dry] wrapped around a suitable piece of wood such as the handle of an artist's paint brush to remove any sharp bits. Put some fine gravel in the base for extra stability.

I used to have a Mateus Rose lamp, but the Triple Vintage cider bottle was my favourite.

They used to sell table lamp kits consisting of a switched lampholder fitted with a bottle adaptor, complete with flex that emerged from a hole in the side of the lampholder. I found that, with this arrangement, the lamp was prone to get knocked over if the flex was pulled, so drilled a hole and routed the flex through the bottle instead.