View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2018, 12:19 pm   #59
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Revox A77 Stops Playing (Transport Fault)

As always, there are several ways of doing anything. The art is in picking one suited to the repairer's experience and available test equipment.

A look at the capacitor voltage with a scope while it was under load would tell me if the voltage ripple frequency was full-wave or half wave and that would tell me if all diodes in the bridge were doing their work, and the depth of the ripple would tell me if the capacitor had gone low in value.

For someone just beginning, the most important thing is to avoid confusion. Take the slow route and point out the scenery. Calling out what they should see along the way helps build confidence that they're going the right way.

Revox-fixing is quite a well-trampled field. They are a good machine and well worth fixing. Also, plenty of them have been through the hands of experienced fixers, so all the usual faults are well known. There is plenty of good advice (and spares) available for those starting out.

David

David