View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2018, 10:42 pm   #46
Raving Loony
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Revox A77 Stops Playing (Transport Fault)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raving Loony View Post
I guess this is where I start to struggle then. So near yet so far
No, this is where you learn a couple of new skills. Nothing difficult, just new to you. There's plenty of help and encouragement around on here.

Just changing a capacitor involves unsoldering the old one, buying a suitable replacement and soldering it in, taking care to get it the right way round. This may sound a lot to you taken as a whole, but each step is quite do-able. Do the steps and the whole thing looks after itself.

A bridge rectifier is just four diodes connected together and packaged. The circuitry they're connected to makes them difficult to test, so one way out is to unsolder the rectifier and just connect your multimeter to its legs free from the associated circuitry to test one diode at a time. If it's OK, you put it back in (taking care to get it the right way round) and re-soldering it. If it's not good, then you already have it out.

Your multimeter on its Ohms range can test diodes. Some even have a special diode testing range.

The part that needs a bit of skill is soldering. The answer to this is to cheat and do some practising on something sacrificial. You learn not only how to solder but to also look at a solder joint and judge whether it is OK or not. A bit of practice, some guidance and maybe some photos and we'll get you there.

It's very satisfying to teach someone and get them able to do things they didn't think they could. The people who really are impossible to teach are the ones who think they already know everything.

David
I think the small amount I have done today has been a bit overwhelming . I am busy for the next couple of days so will have a chance to reflect on how I want to proceed. Your help and support has been great and you seem to be good at boosting my confidence. Will post if I am brave enough to try it or not.
Many Thanks