Thread: Grundig 2068
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2018, 10:33 am   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig 2068

Hello, I restored a Grundig 2066 a couple of years ago which is similar. Not sure your maths on the tweeter resistor power dissipation is right - if the current is indeed 0.084mA then a 22k resistor would dissipate 0.16 milliwatts. If you've made a typo and you meant 0.084A (84mA) then the same resistor would dissipate 155W. There is no way the tweeter should be passing 84mA so something is most definitely wrong there. The tweeter should be drawing minimal current so it looks as though it has gone short circuit or very low resistance. You should disconnect it straight away. There are cheap replacements available that will not look the same but will at least give you some HF sound. Although on the radio that I repaired there were no wax capacitors there were lots of plastic encapsulated paper capacitors and without exception they were all leaky. The end caps were originally sealed with some sort of white sealant but on many it had crumbled and let in damp air over the years. If the set has had a lot of use the ECC85 is probably low emission but check out all the capacitors first and replace those that need it one by one to avoid mistakes. Providing you have got HT on the magic eye and you have checked R18 (470k) then the eye has had it if it is not glowing at all (another indication that the radio has been used a lot). If the ME glows but no deflection then check the AGC voltage between R46 (2.2M) and chassis. There should be a significant change when you tune in a strong signal. If not then try again after you've changed the caps as described above. The Grundig I repaired was the best valved VHF performer I have ever come across so you should not be disappointed once you get it sorted. Cheers, Jerry

Last edited by cathoderay57; 10th Nov 2018 at 10:48 am.