View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2020, 3:38 pm   #52
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Default Re: Very interesting auction of communications equipment

I have also only seen the live auctions with the likes of bargain hunt. It was quite interesting. I started viewing about half way through the radio stuff. I was quite amazed at the bids on what looked like junk box lots, although others habve stated that some valuable items were mixed up as well. The assorted wire and cables was many times what I thought it would fetch.

"Most importantly, the overall high level of prices fetched has persuaded me that this kind of auction may be a jolly good way of selling my own collection when the time comes. And I also recognise that it solves the eternal packing & carriage problem of an eBay sale."
Yes, I tend to agree. I would need a large van to take it to Scarborough.
Techman commented about the two concurrent auctions, the junk one and the better catalogued one and a "lot" split between the two. No use to attract internet bids.
This would mean that to dispose of all your gear, it would be absolutely essential to go into a catalogued saleroom plus internet auction. No good just a small handful or just one or two people bidding. This is hammered home (no pun intended) by a lot of the results from yesterday with internet bids.
I am slowly weaning my daughter away from the "I'll just get a skip in" attitude when I showed her one or two items and estimated value in my shack. She told me that I need to label everything as to value. We all know there is more to it than that, it is just not quite as simple.
"So those days they turn into years" (Genesis lyrics, Undertow)
Rob