View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2012, 5:44 am   #146
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Another unusual plug and some other questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezza123 View Post
2 x Hubbell 5Amp 125v American/Austrailia me thinks
Like I said in a previous post somewhere, those would be the better "industrial" quality standard USA plugs for 15 amps/125 volts.

Not the sort of stuff you'd see in most mom & pop hardware stores (unless they are in a commercial/industrial district).

It's the type of article you'd see at the end of an office cleaning lady's vacuum cleaner - we also have a bunch of them on extension cords for the workbenches at my job. They'd also be used at construction jobsites for homemade extension cords and power tools.

You're more apt to find them at electrical suppliers. They're expensive too. I think like 10-15 dollars a pop. The female versions are more expensive, as always.

A "regular" house-hold plug of that configuration would cost anywhere from $1 to $4, depending on brand, quality, where you get it, etc.

Quote:
1 x S.K 16Amp 3pin round see through plug.may be south African.
2 x NOS 16Amp 250v round pin see through with a crocodile logo on the front.
Those two white plugs would both be of South African provenance. They are both made by Snapper, one of the big brands of electrical bits down there.

I have one of the "Crocodile brand" Snapper plugs in my collection -- found it on something in a second hand store here in the USA. How it ended up here, I have no idea.

The more squat looking of the two is just simply branded as "The Plug", as you can see on the bar code label. That one I'm actually interested in.

On these plugs, the two halves of the shell snap together and separate by poking a flat screwdriver into that center slot and GENTLY twisting until the catch springs free. Don't know if that would be allowed under BSI standards.

Last edited by stephanie; 21st Apr 2012 at 5:50 am.