View Single Post
Old 4th May 2019, 3:32 am   #14
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1940's Motorola VT 71 tv

Quote:
I can't make sense of it and there are so many wires connected to the capacitors. It's driving me nuts!
That reminds me of a scene in a movie were there is a severed wiring loom with dozens of wires hanging out and the guy trying to fix it, with a horrified look on his face, remarks there are too many wires and he doesn't know what to do.

The thing to remember here, don't get overwhelmed by all the connections and wires.

Focus on only one at a time, be sure you know where it connects at each end and what the purpose of the connection is. Compare to the schematics, if it doesn't match, just document what you find and build up the schematic of the actual set you do have in front of you. Only then, move to the next wire to study. That way it is not so overwhelming.

Also note, depending on the design, if you see any of those twist lock electrolytics on a thin brown phenolic wafer mount, usually that is done because the negative of the capacitor does not connect to the chassis and its connection is elsewhere and often this is why a cardboard sleeve is put over the can on the chassis top as it avoids shocks/shorts.