Thread: Philips N4450
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2017, 5:16 am   #57
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4450

I have run the machine with the original (2 core) cable and didn't get any tingles, nor did the RCD in the consumer unit here trip. There was also no significant leakage from the mains wiring to chassis using my insulation tester (OK, I have never had it calibrated but I have checked it against a few resistors, and it does seem to give sensible results. It tests at 1000V which should be OK for mains)

The problem is that the N4450 has an internal audio power amplifier and also line level outputs. It could be used as the central part of an audio system, driving the speakers directly, and fed from other units (also normally with 2 core mains leads), or it could be linked to another amplifier (which would normally be earthed with a 3 core lead). In the former case it would be a reasonable to have a 3 core lead on the N4450, in the latter not.

My feeling (after a night's thought) is to fit the 2 core cable as it was originally. It's what the manual shows, it's what Philips considered to be right.