Thread: Philips N4450
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2017, 11:41 pm   #43
Reelman
Octode

Default Re: Philips N4450

Interesting to see the photos. After the time and dedication you are putting into the restoration you should have a machine at least as good as a new one! The heads look excellent. I have to say that the timer was not a facility I used more than once or twice. I was always at home when it was time to record the charts on a Sunday.

I have heard stories that the power supply was under specified and prone to failure. Certainly if you turn up the volume the take up spool will slow and then stop as the dc motor is drained of power. When I finally get around to mine I intend to replace the many incandescent bulbs by LEDs to reduce power consumption. When the original bulbs began to fail (40 years ago now) I had great trouble finding wire-ended replacements and had to make do with adapting MES bulbs.

I was very surprised and disappointed when I found that the "professional" slider controls were just modified rotary pots.

Always thought that the black finish was a bit austere so I added some wood veneer to the sides, better to fit into the domestic environment.

Plenty more stories about this great machine, will save them for another time.

Peter