View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2018, 3:33 pm   #67
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: I hate Steampunk AVOs

I wasn't aware until very recently that Steampunk was a cosplay/clothes/lifestyle fashion trend (with an -albeit fragile- music scene of it's own). I don't believe pseudo-goths are the people who buy the wares of the drill-bandits- i think this other clan are the occupiers of ex.warehouse/dockside apartments who view a huge gearwheel or a theatre lamp on a telescope tripod as a minor art installation to blend with the bare brick walls (Much the same way a 3 foot high pot with some sparkly twigs sticking out is still seen as attractive dressing for the corner of the room in a suburban house.)

If the Antiques Roadshow still exists in AD2150 i find it highly likely it will be a case of:

'A very nice piece in it's original form, but unfortunately a victim of a trend that took it's toll on a lot of them. I can see that you and your children like it, so keep it, cherish it, i have to say it's worth less than half of an unmolested original so you don't need to be too afraid of dusting it.'

If the pseudo-goths merge with the customers of Harry Enfield's 'I saw you coming' shop the destruction will increase at least in the short term. The same will occur if purveyors of badge-engineered wares like Georg Jensen start to look to the past for profit.

i agree with you Steve, the thing in post #63 does look nice, but to me it is still damaged goods. I notice that over the last 20 years ago the amount of goodies that end up in skips has been in steady decline- we probably have ebay, gumtree, etc. to thank for this. For this reason I don't buy the 'I saved it from landfill so I could make something cool' argument any more.

A TV Ad from the past came to mind last night, and I have a new version of the lyrics:

'Goggles for girls, goggles for guys, goggles don't work unless they're over your eyes'

Dave