View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2019, 10:59 am   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Is Ever Ready still a part of your life?

I still can't believe that the once 'go to' name for batteries and torches is no longer existent in the UK. The blue sign above shops proudly stating 'Ever Ready' was always exciting to me as a boy in the 1980's - pick up a new No.8 battery for my holidays or maybe a bulb or two. Pocket money fun.

Despite the sad demise of Ever Ready, I still use their items on a daily basis. I was wondering if anyone else did.

In regular use is:

1920's hanging glass lamp - like a small paraffin lamp - use it every morning when getting dressed on dark mornings. Much easier on the eye than a mains lamp.

1929 Portable Searchlight - 3 D cell with deep and highly polished reflector. Use it going to my unlit garage and taking the bins out. Always ready to go.

1937 'Night Watchman' - 5 D cell powerful torch, uses a 6 V bulb. Take it on walks and it just runs and runs and is bright. Ever Ready quality at its best.

1980 No.8 Solar. Plastic torch takes a No.8 battery. A 21700 rechargeable battery is a direct replacement (gives 5+ hours) and I use a 3D Cell Maglite bulb. Perfect for the pocket as its light and gives an excellent beam.

My Dad uses a 1920 Ever Ready Oak Hand lamp - perfect for the bedside as it can lay on its back and light the ceiling. I adapted it to use AA batteries.

My Mum uses a 1975 Ever Ready Glow Light - again, perfect for the bedside.

I have more Ever Ready lights, but these are the ones I use every day. It would be good to hear that others were still enjoying these excellent lights from the past too.