View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 11:50 am   #1
jascha
Hexode

Default Studer / Revox etc BiPolar PROMS! Question and concerns!

Hi everyone,

Hope you're all keeping well.
I would like to scratch the surface on a concern that cropped up in my head regarding so many (now) vintage machines that use discreet components.

I refer to Studer A807 (and many others I understand) that on both Spooling and Capstan boards use Commutation ICs (3 in total).
Finding bin files for eproms has not been so tricky however these commutation ICs, if they go faulty, what can be done to have them replaced?

Touch wood so far they have not failed on me but I'd like to have some backup plan ahead in case either mine (or someone else's machine) needs a replacement of these ICs. On the Studer A807 the part numbers are 1.727.343.20 (ICs 15 & 18 on the Spooling board) and 1.727.331.20 IC 9 (Capstan Board).
Other machines must have their own programmed ICs dedicated just for that model.

I am told that these would need old obsolete programmers that are hard to find and also these ICs might not be so easy to find. It's worth having a bank of data for all these machines if anyone can backup the data from these ICs.

Anyone can shed some light on the subject please so we can help each other protect these machines in case one of us is unlucky?

Thanks everyone
J